Monday, September 28, 2015

EXPRESSING LIKES AND DISLIKES.



RAP SONG



Talking about likes and dislikes


Expressing likes and dislikes

To talk about your likes and dislikes, you can use these expressions.

Expressing likes:

  • I like…
  • I love...
  • I adore…
  • I ‘m crazy about…
  • I’m mad about…
  • I enjoy…
  • I’m keen on…

Expressing dislikes:

  • I don’t like…
  • I dislike...
  • I hate…
  • I abhor…
  • I can’t bear...
  • I can’t stand…
  • I detest...
  • I loathe...
 Examples of likes and dislikes :
I'm mad about basketball, but I can’t bear ice hockey.
I adore reading poetry, but I loathe doing the housework.

If you neither like nor dislike something:

"I don't mind doing the housework."

Things to remember about likes and dislikes:

1. When these expressions are followed by a verb, the latter is put in the -ing form.
Examples:
"I like listening to music."
"I hate wearing sunglasses."
I like
VERB+ING
I detest
I don't mind
2. Note that" very much" & " a lot" always come after the things you like.
Examples:
 "I like basketball very much/a lot. NOT" I like very much/a lot basketball."
3. Be careful when you use "I don't mind..."
Examples:
"Do you mind playing football?"
"No, I don't mind."(Although it's in a negative form, it means that it's ok for me. I neither love it nor hate it.)

Dialogue:

Steve is at home. His girlfriend comes in...Notice how they express their likes and dislikes
Steve: Hello, darling. Do you fancy watching a film tonight?
Girlfriend: Oh, no thanks, I don't really feel like watching a film tonight. How about going out instead.
Steve: OK. Do you feel like going to the theater?
Girlfriend: Oh, no. I hate it. Do you like eating at the new Chinese restaurant?
Steve: I don't mind. The Chinese cuisine is alright.
Girlfriend: Well I really love it. Let's go.


   Excercises with videohttp://simpleesl.com/english-worksheets-activities-and-games-likes-and-dislikes/

No comments:

Post a Comment